Monday, June 15, 2009

Looking out my back door




Tonight while relaxing, I was watching this doe as it laid down just outside my door near a salt block. When I went to retrieve the camera, she had gotten up and grazed over about 20 feet from the back door. This doe is an interesting girl as she is missing a hoof on her right front, but she handles herself well like she is walking on all 4's. I was considering taking this ole girl out come deer season, but I think I may not have to as apparently she doesn't see herself handicapped, nor hampered. But she does not run when she needs to, instead she hunkers down low and waits for danger to pass. As time goes on, my decision to take her down will rely on a few things such as the winter months and this may play a key roll in her becoming jerky.

3 comments:

  1. and she will make big medicine jerky for your belly, her survival smarts will give you big grrrr. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Ya, I gather she will give me a headache come hunting season. I have a hunch she will be as smart as a certain rascally rabbit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have this family of deer out back. Mom dad and two babies. One of the fawns was missing a hoof. Yet she acted as if she was walking on all fours. I am thinking it is a birth defect the missing hoof? I saw her today she is walking better. I thought it odd that she feigned walking on the leg without the hoof. But now she seems to be putting her full weight on it. YaY!

    ReplyDelete