Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Civil War chairs






These two chairs hold a great deal of pride in my family. Both are from the era of the American Civil War, both are still in prestige condition and never had any repairs. Everything is original down to the wood stain. One is a rocker, very comfy and the other a recliner, also comfy. I remember as a child going to sleep in my grandmothers arms while she rocked me in this very rocker. My grandfather use to smoke his cigars in the recliner, but to amazement, the recliner doesn't hold the smell of cigars at all, nor of the musty antique smell often found with original fabric.

I love furniture made of wood and cloth and the more it shows of both, the more pleased I am in appearances. Both of these will be included in my log home...someday and hopefully I can round up more furniture in the style of the "olden days". Until then, both will sit downstairs in my parents house for safe keeping.

6 comments:

  1. Hi BB, came across a blog you might love, lots of great foraging recipes. I tried the dandelion petal bread and it came out great!
    http://fat-of-the-land.blogspot.com/
    It's based in the PNW(ha, GOD'S COUNTRY) but I'm sure you could sub things.

    How fun to have such old family heirlooms and be able to use them! Does Grandma's ghost rock n roll? :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello wyld thang...thanks for the link :) Wait a minute, PNW isn't God's country...the midwest is (sticking tongue out). By the way, my grandmother, not the one who owned these chairs, does haunt my parents house. Lots of strange things happening like pots flying off tables, shelves dislodging themselves, hearing foot steps and voices and no I'm not nuts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! I always know where there's a ghost, even if it's over the internet :0) In our county we have an Art Studio tour that includes a lot of very old(well for here 100 years is really old)houses and public buildings. I can always pick the houses with the ghosts, and it's been really fun hearing people's stories. So no I don't think you're nuts, cuz I know I'm not nuts! And no I'm not into crystal ball crap neither...

    ReplyDelete
  4. But you're into reading palms and seeing the aurora of people...gotcha! Hey, do you toss human bones onto a table top and read what they have to say? You know, that Jamaican voodoo stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha! no I'm more of a throw a pie down on the table and jump around the bonfire kinda thang (I need some woad to finger paint...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah so you're into fairy dancing...gotcha! Yep, I figured you for strange, but that fairy dancing stuff is way out there as is (ROFL).

    ReplyDelete