Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thoughts of Alternative Methods of Power

For this week I have been letting my mind and thoughts escape to one day adding my own power and not relying on outside help from public service. There are a number of different sources available, but knowing what to go with wont be for a good while as I'm a researcher and will research and research until I cannot no more.

Sources available to a homeowner include solar and wind. Both are expensive in their own right but nothing is cheap anymore so I guess expense will always be of an issue. I have yet to weigh the options of pros and cons for each, but am thinking that living in the country, wind would be best, especially if cloudy days prohibit charging of the solar panels. The cheapest windmill I can find costs roughly $3950 and stands 19 feet high. The thing though with a windmill is that I don't want one of those high tech aerodynamic doo higgies that look like a plane engine. I want the rustic type that doesn't stick out like a neon sign in the woods. White against green would stick out as there are lots of fir trees here. However, the old wood and metal deals we often see in movies and pictures are of more interest and blend in fairly well.

The other issue that I like with the older types is that many thieves are attracted to flair and since my folks have had 2 attempted break ins on their property in less than 2 weeks time, well...I just don't want that kind of trouble on my turf and so want to keep the homestead and acreage as low key as possible.

One thing that both a windmill and/or solar can do, is provide water and electricity. However, I am thinking I will have to go with both because having all solar panels is pretty unattractive and sticks out like "oh there is someone who has cash" and that is just what I don't want to advertise to thieves. I also don't want to add to the already 4 solar panels planned for future installation. Now I'm just starting my research on solar power so this line of thinking will probably change in the coming years and if I find a special someone to share life with, I'm sure my thoughts and her thoughts will be quite different.

So, if anyone has suggestions or ideas on one or the other, don't be afraid to comment. I need ideas so my thoughts can move on to other things :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey man, it's Ray. Email me for some alt power ideas. There are a few others that you might have over looked. Also on the PV cells, have you looking into the "thin"/stick on kind? fairly easy to install as well as MUCH lower key than a large panel or sunflower.

    ReplyDelete