Sunday, April 12, 2009

Food Plot Prep





Well I finally got photos of my food plot. Mind you the working stages do take a bit of time to get the ground broke up, especially when it was frozen! Going with the old stand by of doing work by hand tools only, the photos show what 3 hours will do. My tools are merely that of a hand cultivator that my grandfather used, an iron rake, a leaf rake, grub axe for taking out the ant hills and a little gizmo called "The Klaw" which is a fork that you just twist to bring out clumps of sod.

I started this project on Thursday (4/2/09) and still have a whole other half to do, but is temporarily covered by snow. I figure by the second week of May, I'll have the ground prepared and seeded with Chicory and Birdsfoot Trefoil. Both great for deer, turkey and other wildlife.

This week I will be purchasing the seed and the fertilizer ahead of time so I'll be completely ready for the planting and it will save me a trip to town. Plus then I can put all my effort into completing the seed bed without worry about the items I need.

Of course if someone wishes to suggest ideas into my little project, by all means go for it. This is the first time I've ever done a project like this and so am doing it all on a wing and a prayer.

2 comments:

  1. We did sort of the same thing, after logging we threw out a bag of deer yum stuff. A bushel of apples works good too, or tulips...good luck! it should grow great. Love that garden claw!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks wyld...I wish it would rain so the ground would be easier to break, but that wont happen for a good bit. So every day I spent about 3 hours cultivating. The snow has melted since the photos were shot, so I'll be working that area this weekend.

    ReplyDelete