Friday, April 10, 2009

Food plot and warm weather

Finally, it's the end of the week. Friday! However, my work is just beginning. I've spent the last two days working on a food plot for the wildlife here. Doing it all by hand and none of it by machine. Though it's a small plot of 1,375 sq ft., when using hand tools to break earth, it can become a very big job. I'll be taking photos come Sunday when I have it all done and get it posted. Then Monday I'll be buying birdsfoot trefoil which is a legume that grows for a good 10 years and that of Chicory, a herb that aids in protein and minerals for the deer and turkey. Planting will be half and half since I still have snow in the plot, thus have to work around the frozen turf the best I can.

I got some eggs from a good friend who lives in back of me and who I met on a homesteading forum. I never knew she lived so close, but she has a nice little layout on her farm. It's always amazing how small this world truly is and here I thought I lived in a dead area of wasteland.

The weather is also turning nicer and that means warmer temps...so cannot wait. I'm dreadfully tired of the white crap that lingers past the time of where it's 'suppose' to be melted. Eh, just means for a later planting season. Anyone who wants the snow to remain needs to be nailed with a snowball...I'll give them a "reason" to wish for warm weather ROFL. Hopefully though the rains of spring will hold off until I get some of that trefoil planted. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment